Sunday, June 15, 2008

What is Humility?

Sometime in the past few weeks, I caught myself thinking about what it means to be humble. I wondered if asking someone who is really good at something - say, painting - if they are good at it, would they be "un-humble" if they answered yes. It would seem that acknowledging his skill may be a prideful thing to do. Also, most people would say if someone calls himself humble, he is clearly not humble. I, on the other hand, can't agree completely with that line of thinking. While we can all agree that humility is found in not lifting yourselves above others or having an arrogant attitude, it is also not based on saying you are a lowly, filthy worm. I remember reading a quote from Hakeem Olajuwon, saying "humility demands the truth." If that's true, the excellent painter would "admit" he/she is good at what they do.

Now, let's take it a step further. If you asked Jesus if he were humble, what would his answer be? (take a moment to think about that one...)
I think He would find a really wise way to answer affirmatively. Instead of saying, "yes," maybe he would say "I gave my life for you," or "I descended below all." Maybe he would pause and let your question sink in until you knew the answer without Him telling you.

What do you think?

1 comment:

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Great thoughts! Elder Dennis E. Simmons of the Seventy taught us at a mission conference that "humility is confidence." He continued, "Confidence in the Lord." I think we need not pretend we are not gifted, because then we lose a chance to acknowledge God's hand in all things.
-Eric