First, let's took a look the goods, the bads, and the terribles of my early season predictions.
- I had the Bulls earning the No. 1 seed in the East and advancing to the Conference Finals. Instead they went 33-49 and missed the playoffs.
- The Heat were supposed to win their division (yikes!) and earn a spot in the playoffs, but they won 15 games--the worst total in the league this year.
- "Philadelphia 76ers - Won't make the playoffs." My bad.
- Ditto for the Atlanta Hawks.
- I said choosing a division winner in the Pacific would be easier than in any other division. If it were so easy, than why did I pick the wrong team? The Lakers won it - not the Suns. In fact, I had the Lakers just on the outside of the playoff picture, wondering if Kobe would be traded (or become a malcontent if he stayed in La-La Land), commenting that "Either way this team is first-round playoff fodder at best." I guess I did not foresee the improvement of the supporting cast, or the Pau Gasol
- While I thought the Southwest Division would be a three-way race for first place, my fourth-place team, the Hornets, won the prize.
- 7 of my 8 playoff picks out West qualified. The one who didn't make it: the Warriors, who went 48-34, and still got left out of the postseason party. In the East, on the other hand, the Hawks got in with just 37 wins.
- The Jazz and Celtics won their divisions.
- The Texas Triangle was extemely tough, with all 3 teams winning more than 50 games.
- Other than the Timberwolves finishing 2 games ahead of the Sonics, I had the order of the Northwest Division picked perfectly.
My updated playoff predictions...
(1) Celtics vs. (8) Hawks; Celtics in 4
(2) Pistons vs. (7) 76ers; Pistons in 6
(3) Magic vs. (6) Raptors; Magic in 5
(4) Cavaliers vs. (5) Wizards; Wizards in 6
(1) Lakers vs. (8) Nuggets; Lakers in 5
(2) Hornets vs. (7) Mavericks; Hornets in 7
(3) Spurs vs. (6) Suns; Spurs in 7
(4) Jazz vs. (5) Rockets; Jazz in 6Conference Semis
East: (1) Celtics over (5) Wizards, 5 games; (2) Pistons over (3) Magic, 7 games
West: (1) Lakers over (4) Jazz, 7 games; (3) Spurs over (2) Hornets, 7 games
East: (1) Celtics over (2) Pistons, 6 games
West: [pulling teeth] (1) Lakers over (3) Spurs, 7 games
Celtics defeat Lakers in 6
Ladies and gentleman...your (potential) NBA champion Boston Celtics!